Monday, April 27, 2015

Good Evening....or Good Morning?

So time is none existent in college. If any older folks are reading this, reach back in that brain of yours and remember the late nights of spiral notebooks, note cards, and cat naps in the library bathroom couches. Well, that's what college consists of for a lot of us. Our infamous Anschutz (yes I had to Google that and make sure I spelled that right) library houses what looks like homeless young adults. At 3 a.m. you could almost mistake this place as a homeless shelter for the lost and hopeless. Because it really is. You can literally smell the feeling of hopelessness and despair. It doesn't help that some haven't slept in days and they haven't changed in two days.
You think this is a joke? Dare to visit your child during Finals Week. I highly doubt they would EVER let this happen, but if it's your unlucky day, have fun? Known as the final stretch, it is probably the only week when it is acceptable to look your worst. If you take time to actually look presentable, people actually STARE. Yes. If you look presentable you are judged, complete opposite. It's like opposite day all week. An Opposite Week of sorts. We stay up almost 24/7 and if we don't we study through the night until the exam and then sleep after, during the day. No one showers. You don't have time. It is like hell. Whoever decided that cumulative finals were okay needs to be sat down and taught a thing or two. Because the only thing worse than walking into class on the first day and finding out that the final is CUMULATIVE is finding out your dog died. The dog you've had since childhood. The dog that was your best friend. Died. Being ran over. And you watched. Might, I repeat, MIGHT be worse.
You might be wondering why I am rambling about such a stupid topic. Well if you've checked the time on when I posted this, go ahead, take a peek. Yes everyone. I am awake. In high school I thought 4:00 am was a myth. A mythical mermaid, heard about but never seen. Well I have witnessed the glorious 4:00 am quiet and let me tell you. It is hell and heaven all at the same time. It is so quiet, depending on the time of year and place of sitting. Where I am at currently is in my dorm bed with the windows open listening to the night sounds. It's nice because it's like you're one with the world, but I am probably driving my neighbor nuts with my incessant, unnecessary rap. Oops. Sorry Keke. Why am I up at 3:30? A very important exam in Accounting 201 tomorrow at 12. Counting down the hours until I have to get up for my 9:30 am class and watching the hours slip by as I kid myself into thinking that I'm actually retaining this information. I'm not joking. This information is going in one ear and out the other, and obviously I'm not studying very hard because of said blog post. (If you're reading this mom, which lets be real, you will you can't resist. I promise I'll do well. Don't worry.)
So time. Time doesn't exist for a college student. It doesn't matter if the sun or the moon is in the sky. I'm going to make a quick run to McDonalds for a caramel frappe and maybe something off the dollar menu just to stay awake for a few more hours. I'm very lucky that Marilyn is never in the room around night time because I would more than likely annoy the crap out of her with all my commotion. (sorry Marilyn. Don't forget my ice cream tomorrow)
So far I've learned that in college you really don't need to own a watch. You might need it to get to class on time, but once you get really good at the whole Native American, sun positioning system, you'll be a pure-blood Navaho. You can also go to school for free also so hey there's a bonus. So if any of my former underclassman decide to take a peek at this, let me tell you, you think staying up till 1 is scary. Wait till you see the AM put together with the 5. That's horror movie worthy. So enjoy sleep while you can high schoolers, because come August for you seniors, you'll be slapped in the face over and over again. You won't know what to do. Because nothing can really prepare you for what's about to happen. Unless you're Clark Kent, don't try to do everything. Take it one step at a time.
So Dani's little advice for the coming day. Cherish your sleep. Enjoy those delicious dreams of meeting Zac Efron or winning the lottery. Because come one day, you'll miss it. Terribly.

1 comment: